As per The Family: A Proclamation to the World, our Heavenly Father intended for earthly fathers to "preside over the family in love and righteousness," to protect the family, and to provide for them the necessities of life. My dad is a good example of all these things. So good, in fact, that my mother has referred to him as "too perfect."
1. For as long as I can remember, he has lovingly led the family in daily scripture study and weekly family home evening, and the occasional family council.
2. It's not dinnertime until he gets home from work.
3. When his kids don't come to church, he has been known to leave in the middle of meetings to "rescue" them.
4. He and my mother have begun their own family traditions that bind us together, including hugs all around after daily family prayer.
5. He expends his best effort to keep the family together and
6. free of addictive substances and behaviors.
7. He stands up for my mom when she needs it.
8. His nonviolent, patient example has become a part of me.
9. He comes on family vacations as much as possible.
10. Instead of choosing a "fun" career, he went into something he knew he could use to support a family.
11. He worked against hardship, including poverty, to finish his college education.
12. He consults with his Father in Heaven about big career decisions.
13. He goes to work and fixes machines, then comes home and fixes machines. (My parents are masters of inexpensive living!)
14. When I was little, I saw him as the cool dad who would take us fishing and
15. play rock and roll.
16. When he was our branch president, he helped me learn to love and obey the Lord 100%.
17. During high school, he became my go-to guy for help on math and science homework.
18. He loves my mom and puts their marriage first, even before us.
19. He loved being a missionary and lives it every day.
20. He spends time on things my mom is interested in, even if they don't make sense to him at first.
21. I believe that if I talk with him about my experiences and decisions, it will be hard to go wrong.